Over time, and especially after extensive use, air vents can collect a lot of dust, dirt, and other particles from the air, such as dander, hair, pollen, and mold. To keep build-up at a minimum and improve your indoor air quality, it’s recommended that you clean your air vents at least twice a year. Here are the steps you can take to clean your air vents easily and thoroughly:
- Turn off the power to your HVAC system.
- Remove the vents. Some can be easily popped off, while others may require a screwdriver.
- Vacuum the opening to the duct to remove any excess debris or dust.
- Wipe down the vent grills with a duster or rag to remove surface debris.
- Prepare a container of warm soapy water and soak your vents for 10-15 mins.
- Dry your vents with a towel and put them back in place.
- Replace your air filter. Routine air filter replacement is important for quality indoor air and HVAC maintenance. If you find your filter to be clear, there is no need to replace it at this time.
- Turn your system back on and enjoy fresher, cleaner air for several months.
In addition to cleaning your vents, Canady’s experts can help make sure your indoor air quality is the best it can be. We offer a variety of products that will help kill bacteria and other germs living in your air conditioning or heating system. Contact us today and let our air cleaners and home purifiers work to clean the air in your house!